The Institute of Archaeology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine invited us to participate in a press conference held at the Ukrainian Crisis Media Center on November 10, 2023.
Topic: Archaeology of Ukraine during the war: problems and prospects
Since 2014, Ukraine has faced armed aggression from Russia. Since 2015, the Institute of Archaeology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine has collaborated with combat units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine to document the destruction of archaeological monuments. Since August 2022, the Institute has undertaken continuous monitoring of the destruction of archaeological monuments.
«”Ukrainian identity and culture have become a target for our adversaries, evident in the treatment of historical centers such as Kherson, Odessa, and Mariupol by the Russians. The destruction of religious and architectural monuments and the looting of museums showcase the depth of this hostility. Yet, this is only the visible aspect of the issue. Substantial wealth lies concealed underground. Therefore, there is an urgent need for research, documentation, and the recording of losses, followed by a comprehensive assessment of damages to our archaeological heritage.”»
- The destruction of monuments of Ukraine’s archaeological heritage as a crime against humanity and its violation of international legislation – The Hague Convention on the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict of 1954.
- Documentation of the destruction of monuments in the Luhansk, Kyiv, Chernihiv, Sumy, Odesa, and Mykolaiv regions. Current and potential losses for Ukraine.
- Double crime: Destruction of archaeological heritage on the territory of the Kakhov reservoir in 1956 and 2023.
- Strategies for the future development of monitoring the state of archaeological heritage: challenges, prospects, and international experiences.
- The role of authorities in documenting the destruction of archaeological heritage: actions and inaction.
- Chabai Viktor Petrovych: Corresponding member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Director of the Institute of Archaeology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
- Serhii Anatoliyovych Telizhenko: Candidate of Historical Sciences, Academic Secretary of the Institute of Archaeology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
- Ivakin Vsevolod Hlibovych: Candidate of Historical Sciences, Head of the Department of Archaeology of Kyiv, Institute of Archaeology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
- Pavlo Serhiyovych Shydlovskyi: Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Archaeology of Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University.
I you want more information: